About the group:
The UCT Active Travel and Community Transport Group is a virtual group focused on how we can better get around Lochbroom and beyond.
Sustaining Choices: the group worked alongside Planning Advisory Service (funded by Paths for All and Hitrans) to develop an Active Travel and Community Transport plan. Over the course of last summer a survey and a number of engagement sessions were held with the community resulting in the “Action Plan for Active Travel and Sustainable Transport” here. Five key Actions were identified:
1. Create more walking, cycling or wheeling routes including a route that links Braemore and Lochside communities to the south and Ardmair to the north with Ullapool.
2. Make pavements and paths more accessible by ensuring they are clear, well maintained and incorporate features such as dropped kerbs. This could include finding funding to support upkeep.
3. Improve community transport. Improvements should include access to buses for young people to access training and work opportunities as well as being given more time to socialise outwith school.
4. Develop better access to and management of parking including provision of disabled spaces and enforcement.
5. Improve traffic management including implementing traffic calming measures to reduce speed of vehicles and make roads safer.
Braemore to Ardmair Active Travel Route: Ullapool Community Trust are in the process of creating a continuous walking, wheeling* and cycling (known as ‘active travel’) route in the Lochbroom area. The project seeks to connect communities and amenities in Lochbroom through the provision of a traffic-free route for walkers, wheelers and cyclists, providing a greener accessible and safer alternative to the A835 for everyday journeys.
Further details on this project and the current consultation can be found here.
We are always keen to have new members join the group! If you are passionate about making a difference and would like to get involved, please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or drop into the New Broom and speak to one of the team to register your interest.